Join Harry Duran, host of Vertical Farming Podcast, as he welcomes to the show Aja Atwood. Aja is the co-founder and CEO of Trella Technologies, an organization that provides technical, innovative solutions to make indoor and urban farming a sustainable, long-lasting industry.
Today, Harry and Aja talk about the amazing technologies they’re developing at Trella, including automated plant-training robotics. Aja shares her entrepreneurial origin story which started with her natural curiosity and analytical mind and led her to building a company that aiming to change the vertical farming industry. She discusses the incredible work they’re doing with Trella’s partnership with Jean Charles Academy and speaks to the importance of fostering diversity in the workplace. Finally, Aja talks about what’s next for Trella and what excites her about the future of AgTech.
- 03:41 – Harry welcomes to the show Aja Atwood, who joins the show to discuss her company, Trella, and her vertical farming origin story
- 11:00 – A curious and analytical mind
- 13:15 – Aja’s podcast origin story
- 18:39 – Partnering with Jean Charles Academy
- 25:33 – The Trella Story and the idea to grow plants horizontally
- 32:22 – No More Mondays: the decision to pursue entrepreneurship
- 35:35 – Biggest lessons Aja learned throughout her career
- 38:57 – Aja speaks to the market response to Trella
- 41:38 – What excites Aja most about the future of Trella and vertical farming
- 43:42 – Aja talks about some of the successful partnerships they’ve developed at Trella and some of the AgTech conferences she’s attended
- 46:55 – Aja comments on the lack of diversity in the AgTech industry
- 50:48 – A tough question Aja has had to ask herself recently
- 52:38 – Harry thanks Aja for joining the show and let’s listeners know where they can learn more about Trella and connect with Aja
“So, we got into what’s called ‘low-stress’ plant-training. We were trying to figure out how to do that with robotics and not having to rely on that manual operation so much. What we came up with is a system that will automatically train a plant to grow horizontally. Essentially what it does is trick the top of the plant by light with no chemical violation of the plant.” (26:18) (Aja)
“I want to be a good leader. I want to create a company where people are thrilled and excited to come to work; they feel like they’re a part of something. I’m trying to create something that I never had. And, that’s what fuels me today.” (34:43) (Aja)
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.